Monday, February 20, 2012

#30 Bill Anderson

Bill Anderson- Deck of Cards / Thank You Darling
Deck of Cards- The history of this song is greater than this vinyl single. It's a recitative narrative about a soldier to be arrested for playing cards in church. The history of this song dates back to 1762 and that makes the ending lyrics "And friends this story is true because I knew that soldier" fraudulent. Shame on you Bill. Tsk-tsk, for shame.
Thank You Darling- This song is creepy. He whispers his lines and shouts the chorus. I'm so jaded, but all I see is a hostage situation and a poor female having to endure these lines of minutia. The co-singer on the chorus is a female too, and I hope she wasn't bound with a chain and twine, being forced to recite this diatribe. Excuse me, I have to go shower now... unclean, unclean.
Deck of Cards
Thank You Darling (The songs author posted this video! It just gets creepier and creepier. Don't watch it alone or late at night. The horror! Unclean, unclean!)
I also love the vinyl sleeve it came in. Curb Records still exist and release music. A spray-paint design might have been kitschy, but it looks cool today. Congratulations for staying open.

No comments:

Post a Comment